A while ago I started making a summer top. I chose the easiest pattern I could find, but it was still pretty hard to make.
It doesn’t help that you can’t follow an exact pattern, because you have to adjust for size. Not that I ever follow patterns.
Here is the result:
Now let me start off by saying that for my first try, I’m pretty damn proud of this. It actually fits, and the colour is awesome!
It was made with 2 skeins of Patons Grace cotton yarn I had in my stash. If I was going to wear this I would have made it a bit longer, and would have needed more yarn.
What I would do different.
- The shoulders were easy, and looked pretty much the way I imagined, although it could have been slightly wider. After that it was a process of crochet, try it on, frog it, and start all over again. Many times.
- The armholes were either too tight or too loose and floppy. It was a matter of increasing and decreasing stitches as I went along. When I got past the bust area it became easier.
- The other thing I should have done, was crochet in a spiral, instead of closing each round. In the picture you’ll notice the stitches where I closed each round, in the bottom left of the top.
As I mentioned, I won’t be wearing this, and have already frogged it, but I will use the yarn for something else, and I definitely will come back to this pattern again at some point.
P.S – I will make up for not posting anything last week, by doing 2 posts this week. This cutie pie below distracted me for the first half of the week. I don’t have an excuse for the second half of the week. 🙂